100ml/3½fl oz olive oil
900g/2 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 large free-range eggs
For the salsa
1 ripe beef tomato
½ red chilli
½ green chilli
1 lime, juice only
1 tbsp virgin olive oil
pinch of cumin
handful of fresh coriander, chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 bag of fresh rocket
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat until hot enough for shallow frying.
2. Put about one third of the potatoes and one third of the onion into the pan and fry for one minute before turning the heat down to low.
3. Cook for a further five minutes then turn the heat back up. Keep testing the potatoes with a knife until tender in the middle and just beginning to colour. This should take another 2-3 minutes.
4. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and place in a clean bowl with a pinch of salt. Roughly 'mash' down the potatoes with a knife, keeping plenty of texture.
5. Repeat the above until you have cooked all the potatoes and onion. Drain most of the oil from the frying pan then return to a high heat.
6. Beat the eggs in a bowl with a fork then add to cooked potato and onion. Stir together and season with salt.
7. Pour all of the mixture into the hot frying pan, give it a little shake then turn the heat down low.
8. After a minute or two, when the eggs are beginning to set, put a plate on top and carefully flip the pan over so the tortilla is on the plate, cooked-side down. Invert the plate and then return the tortilla to the pan, cooked-side up.
9. Cook for another 1-2 minutes then turn the heat off and leave to stand in the pan for a few more minutes.
10. To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes.
11. To serve, slice the tortilla and place a wedge on each plate. Top with a mound of fresh rocket and scatter round the salsa.
Recipe courtesy of BBC.co.uk/food. Not for commercial use